Monday, April 4, 2011

What Dreams May Come




This next blog is written with a compilation of notes that sit in front of me. My note cards are like a jigsaw puzzle, I can’t quite get them to all fit together though so I might just have to post many blogs in order to “organize” my thoughts.


I will start with the line:
“Good wombs have borne bad sons”
Initially I laughed when I read this line, but it was only because I didn’t want to cry.
I then came upon lines from Miranda:
“But thy vile race,
Though thou didst learn, had that in ’t which good natures
Could not abide to be with.”

And that is when I allowed myself to shed a few tears. I know, but can’t verbalize why these lines spoke to me, probably because I could associate them with people that I love so dearly. Miranda was so good to Caliban, teaching him, but he let his evil ways get in the way of it. No matter how hard she tried to overlook or help him, he continued to treat her poorly. How could anyone read over this passage without some sort of feeling whether it be remorse, sadness, or disbelief at the least.

When Caliban is first introduced to the play, I felt a sort of sympathy for him. I have a soft spot in my heart for horrible people I think because so much of me feels hope that people change or are they way they are because of some horrible experience. I want to help the “bad” so that they can feel love and see the “good” in the world. Caliban was one of those men for me, but that died quickly. He in fact reminded me of a movie that I have called “What Dreams May Come”. The scenes that take place in hell are absolutely terrifying in this film! Even in the beginning of the play, when the ship is ablaze, I picture “hell” as this movie portrayed it. I can’t read the tempest without these horrifying images drifting in and out of my mind, the actors replaced by Shakespeare’s characters. The images in this movie take your breath away, there is so much imagination and many illusions in this play that take place through both dreams and reality. The trouble comes in deciphering which is which. I posted 2 clips from the film, one representing hell- a place of fury, fire, darkness and chills, while the other is representing heaven- a place of beauty, imagination...PAINT! I had a hard time tracking down great clips though, and most had songs accompany them, so try to just take in the imagery!


No comments:

Post a Comment