Saturday, April 30, 2011

These adjectives cluttering my mind just won't do...

The final day of presentations. I have to start with saying, I thought I knew what I was in for. I had lunch with Jenny and knew she would be singing, and of course it was going to be an amazing presentation (that goes without saying) but I didn't realize what chord it would strike. Again, I will do a brief overview of the presentations and what I took from it, but it will not reflect the actual experience well enough.

Brian: Worte a song, but have to check his blog for the video he was going to upload.

Rachel: Primary and secondary imagination (Coleridge); Prospero as Shakespeare himself; The play within the play; Shakespeare as myth maker

Lauren Scull: Has images on her blog; Andromeda and Perseus; The Tempest; Parents and originals

Shelby: Aesthetic Dignity; Eternal; Negative Capability; Beauty and the Sublime (greater, more complex, limitless compared to beauty); KEATS!; Reunion and recognition; Bloom on Cymbeline; Caliban's speech (III:II); Shakespeare's plays extend into the sublime

Spencer: Final scene and final act of Cymbeline; "Hats"; Not only mything the point, but missing the point; End of the play, the characters realize who they are.

Joe- "Nothing" in Shakespeare; pronunciation of nothing; power of imagination; "To be or not to be"

Lauren: Othello; Iago- the ultimate Tarquin (evil villain); Self- destruction; Richard White- Iago as a character we love to hate

Jenny: "If I die Young"; image of the pearl; Absolutely amazing, I really had to pull myself together to make it through this presentation.

Riley: Iago- burns down the town with his words; Bloom on Othello; Muse of fire (Henry V); Zeus: Pandora (women plague the men)


Shakespeare: remembrance, tragedy, loss, redemption, bitterness, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment