Saturday, April 30, 2011

Heartbreaking and Memorable

There are no words to describe how extraordinary the individual presentations were. As Dr. Sexson said in class, I described them as "heartbreaking and memorable" during a conversation with him. I missed day 1 of the presentations since I was in Minnesota for a much needed break from here, but heard they were spectacular, I missed out. Day 2 of presentations was the day that I would say was especially memorable for many reasons. James, the most courageous and raw of the presentations was inspiring and saddening. I am at a loss as to how to describe his presentation, it was a moment you had to be there for, it can't be captured through my blog. I realize I don't even have notes on his presentation because I was too wrapped up in his presenting. As for the other presenters who also did a wonderful job, here is a brief overview from my notes:

Alex: Manipulating events: alls wells that ends well; fortune/ nature/ gods

Jon: Hamlet & Remembrance; prodigal son. Hamlet: Who am I? Immortality through art

Melissa: Nature; levels of the christian world; "Hell"- Lear's madness; love made of purer substance; Shakespeare captures the emotional tragedy AND the physical

Craig: How do we escape our roles? It is so easy to be somebody else. Human Identity.

Karinne: Higher truth/ transformation/ disguises: What you learn about yourself through deception

Nathan: We should be conscious of what role we play in history and analyzing/ questioning history; Redemption? Kott's faith of humanity is shaken; New historicism; Prospero is tinged with bitterness. Leonardo DaVinci- history repeating itself and a struggle for power. Everything can change and nothing can change; Bitterness; Soliloquy- act V- prospero has to give up existence. What part of the past are you anchored in?


I thoroughly enjoyed all of these presentations! I am in awe of how unique each person is in their topics that they choose. It reflects who they are as people, what interests them and as a class we are so lucky to have the chance to listen to such intelligent and passionate speakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment