Monday, March 21, 2011

Sonnet


I decided that my spring cleaning must also consist of "cleaning" my to do list....a long, long list of assignments. Blogging- I need to get going...so here is my sonnet that should have been written long ago. My creative writing class inspired me. I know the rhyme scheme is correct in regards to a traditional sonnet, it's almost an ode to a traditional sonnet, But the rhythm is a bit off. It was easier for me to write a sonnet than i thought, it really takes a different sort of focus to write a sonnet- it's amazing! I was skeptical when Dr. Sexton said writing sonnets when you can't sleep is soothing, but its true, it helps for the time being, it inspires. For me an ode to the past. I am inspired not only by Shakespeare and his sonnets, but by T.S. Eliot (of course) and the four quartets. This is obvious though, i didn't even need to mention it,


Tear drops fall like rain
Letting go, I take a deep breath
This is the paper where words reflect pain
No longer "us", memories treated like death
Do I cry and run or dance and sing?
No- I'll turn and sigh a breath of relief
Like a bird in the sky, my freedom rings
What we had was love though it was but brief
I could feel it burning like a fire
Your love, my wings. I could fly.
Singing loudly, our love ringing out, it was it's own choir
Why then? Why now? All it comes to is goodbye.
You were the fire. I was the rose.
Or so I guess, that's how the story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment