Thursday, January 20, 2011

Turner's School of Night



I keep looking over Turner's school of night but don't really know what to think. While i am fascinated by it all, I can't help but get sidetracked from all the science, etc intertwined. I must get used to it though since it is "the school of night".

I was one sentence through Turner's blog when I immediately thought of Beckett. I have read Beckett's plays , but recently began reading his three stories. "They come, they go" (Florio's translation), is definitely a central theme of Beckett's in his writings. The simple, yet important idea of coming and going plays a role in not only Beckett, but Shakespeare. It connects to the central theme of love and destruction in Shakespeare's works. I am constantly pondering over this idea of love and its complexities. It never ceases to amaze me. Everything in life seems to come and go: people, love, stories- all of these revolving around one another. Wow- no pun on Turner's name here.

Aside from that, Turner touches on so many topics as we have discussed in class that it becomes difficult to follow. There was no way that I could possibly read his blog in one sitting. Having read the book "The Plague" in high school I
was very interested to see how he spoke about that. Torments, rage, despair- this accurately describes not only the plague but Shakespeare's poems and plays. How can love and hate, loneliness and boredom, torment and joy go hand in hand?

The mind and the soul fascinate me. When Turner touched on these subjects I was anxious to see how he was going to incorporate them into the School of Night blog. "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." The mind is a very powerful thing and something we often do not give enough attention to. The way that the mind can create a place in itself, and abstract other places or thoughts is absolutely terrifying.

TO be honest, I am touching so vaguely on all these points (suffering from pure exhaustion) and I cannot seem to grasp all these thoughts in the article at once. While I found this article to be absolutely intriguing, I find it to be complex and confusing. I feel like it is going to be something I continue to re-read until I have my light bulb moment and clarification from class discussion before I can really post a worthwhile blog.

Then, I will touch on the soul in Shakespeare and The School of Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment