Thursday, January 20, 2011

In response to a few other blogs...

I have been trying to keep up with all the blogs and read through some that I really took something from. First, I must say...discussing the school of Night requirements, I was brought back to Dr. Sexson's literary criticism class from many years ago in which I actually did rock a mustache..for one afternoon...because I was forced to. In fact, I think a majority of the ladies in our group rocked the facial hair that day. Unforgettable.

As I read Jon Orsi's blog, I was drawn to his reference to Siddhartha. I was assigned this book in High School and recently picked up another Herman Hesse novel. Thinking about Siddhartha always brings me to the question of "what would we be, or rather who would we be if we took time to live that solitary life as he did? What would we then see or learn about not only life, but ourselves? Getting at this idea of life as "lunar, not linear", is something that we see every day. Again, cycling me back to T.S. Eliot's thoughts on time...is it cyclical or linear? I agree, life and stories are cyclical, everything is connected in some way. We sometimes don't figure this out until we have taken numerous classes from Dr. Sexson...they all connect, the chances are great that we will continuously cycle through the same things over and over but in a much different way, a way that will connect forwards and backwards.

I have already lost my train of thought and cannot seem to explain what I am thinking very clearly, so I will have to come back to this blog later...perhaps in the morning.

Editing: I looked over Geoffrey rice's blog this morning and found that while i am not familiar with Titus and am not required to read it, i couldn't help but keep reading his blog. I think what drew me in was his reference to the darkness. As he is, i am optimistic and most days quite excited about life, but at the same time i am mesmerized by the idea of darkness, longing, and failure. Is this strange? A girl with nothing to lose, but drawn to only the worst of things. I don't get it and don't really like admitting it....so let's just leave it at that. I won't yet attempt to respond to the aspect of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment