Sunday, January 16, 2011

My limited Shakespeare knowledge

I hate to admit as a "super senior" in the Enlgish department, I know less about Shakespeare than I should. I never took the time to understand and develop a liking for Shaklespeare's work until recently because of a high school teacher I once had. He not only ruined Shakespeare's works for me for years to come after that class, but ruined the entire English curriculum- thank goodness it only lasted 2 years or so. I know that Shakespeare did not limit his works to one specific audience but to many, which was in a way frowned upon at that time. His plays are brilliant and I must say I am still in love with Romeo and Juliet as cliche as the story has become, that tragic romance (fatal love...) wins me over every time. I am so excited to get through Venus and Adonis to see how Shakespeare uses his brilliant ways to intertwine love, violence and sexuality within this poem. The way he plays with gender and age difference, and the roles that they take is stunning I think.

Yes, love is tormenting and who better to reflect that than Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment