Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rejection. Tragedy. The dream.

I was reading some blogs this morning and a few made me think about simple, every day life things. First, Anne takes a very interesting view on Venus and Adonis and she was so bothered by this play. I loved the play so to listen to her reasonings why was interesting and kind of fun to look at from her point of view. She talks about the denial of love in her blog and then centers her sonnet around this idea. But Anne, I question why you use the word denial when it actually seems more of a rejection of love in Venus and Adonis. Similar, yes...but denial is just the act of not admitting love whereas rejection is literally throwing that love away (a total slap in the face). Do you get what I am saying? I am not saying that denial was not present perhaps I just looked at it differently but just something to think about.

Lisette talks about her hatred for the ending as "it was all a dream". I agree, this can be extraordinarily frustrating but i think so often i have a hard time deciphering my own dream and reality that I have simply come to "not care" if i can say that. It makes me think that so much of our lives is dreamlike and the dream is so much more like reality than we realize. Whether dreaming or not, we constantly are left wanting more, wanting answers, or simply wanting an END, even in real life situations.

Like the dream, the play within the play can become so frustrating. As I was getting ready this morning, I was thinking about this concept some more. In my presentation i briefly touched on how the comedy of the play within the play overtakes the tragedy in the play, making it comedic. I find myself doing this a lot. In my own little life I so often attempt to make comedy of the tragedy, cover it with something to make it hurt a little less. It is so much easier to say "dance" than to accept and acknowledge that rejection and tragedy. I am not saying that Shakespeare writes this way to get us to think about things like this (it just happens) because we all know he wrote to entertain. That is what i am loving about this class. We get the entertainment but minds can also take these play, poems, and sonnets somewhere else completely.

Remembrance...

No comments:

Post a Comment